The term “weed” is any plant growing where it is not wanted. Hedgehog Custom Gardening offers Weeding & Weed Control in Bend Oregon.
Weeds can be native or non-native, invasive or non-invasive, and noxious or not noxious. Legally, a noxious weed is any plant designated by a Federal, State or County government as injurious to public health, recreation, agriculture, wildlife or property.
Weeds are considered “Noxious” due to several reasons.
- Spreading – Designated noxious weeds will take over an area very quickly and with such aggression that untreated areas will be taken over exclusively by the noxious, non-native weeds.
- Habitat For Animals – Non native species reduce native habitat for area animals by taking away optimal forage and changing the way the animals use the areas. This results in over grazing of native species and decline of animals.
- Riparian Impacts – Noxious weeds find residence in riparian areas due to their ease of travel through water or water vehicles.
- Effects on Pastures/Hay Fields – Valuable forage is reduced, and animals deposit seeds in other locations in their feces. Some weeds are very toxic to animals.
- Biodiversity – The most notable effects of non-native species is reduction of native plants with the replacement of noxious weeds.
- Economic Impacts – Non-native species can dramatically reduce land values.